We can help you improve all aspects of academic writing and oral presenting in engineering and elective courses and beyond (such as job/graduate school applications). In-person and online appointments and daily Drop-In sessions are available to all undergraduate U of T engineering students. Individuals and teams of students can be accommodated in a single timeslot.
A Communication Instructor (CI) will read your work-in-progress and help you:
- understand the topic
- develop an effective outline
- organize a strong argument
- document your sources correctly
- add to your knowledge of grammar, sentence structure and punctuation
We can also work with you on:
- oral presentation
- slide design
- time management
- lecture-listening and note-taking
- studying and test-taking strategies
Our goal is to support you, making you a more confident and effective communicator, and thus a better engineer.
Types of Appointments
Face to Face Meetings
Schedule a 30-minute appointment for an in-person meeting with a tutor.
Schedule a one-hour appointment to discuss your assignments with a Communication Instructor online and receive feedback electronically:
- Discussion-based Google Docs appointment – An instructor will be available at your scheduled time to read and discuss your assignment with you on the Google Docs platform.
- Online Written Feedback (Document Upload) appointment – Upload your draft to the online system just before your appointment. An instructor will write comments on your draft and upload it back to the system, where you can download it after an hour.
Daily Call-Up List
We’ll phone you if there’s a cancellation – just put your name and cellphone number on the Daily Call-Up List, and specify the time period(s) when you’ll be available. The list is for today only – it can’t be used in advance.
Monday to Friday, 12-2pm in BA 2197, Bahen Centre (Fall/Winter terms only)
An instructor will be available to meet with you once a week without an appointment. Students will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis for up to 30 minutes. Drop-In sessions are available during the Fall and Winter terms while classes are scheduled.
Professional Language Development tutoring:
Professional Language Development (PLD) supports students who use English to study engineering, rather than studying the English language. To schedule an appointment, select one of our specially-trained tutors on the online booking system:
- Dr. Faye D’Silva
- Dr. Penny Kinnear
- Ted Nolan
- Patrick Phillips
- Cheryl Runke
- Jessica Taylor
- Catriona Wright